DWI Defense Lawyers in Syracuse and Auburn, NY

The consequences of a DWI may differ substantially from person to person. A wide variety of aggravating and mitigating factors may affect the outcome of your case. Therefore, it is important to make contact with an experienced attorney as soon as possible who will explain your rights and evaluate your case.

The penalties for a DWI conviction are serious, ranging from a fine of a minimum of $500 to incarceration for one year or more; Of course, the continuing social stigma and embarrassment often outlast any criminal penalty. Representation by an attorney with the proper expertise to evaluate and litigate these cases is crucial to minimizing any potential penalties.

The attorneys at Sugarman Law Firm will work closely with you to ensure that you understand the charges against you and the options that are available to you to deal with them. We look forward to helping you achieve the best possible outcome.

DWI Frequently Asked Questions

Should I Fight My DWI Charge?
The penalties for a DWI related conviction are high (WHAT WILL A DWI COST ME?) It is highly recommended that you seek the advice and counsel of an attorney so you may be adequately informed of your rights and responsibilities.
What is the New York State Driver Assessment Fee?
New York now requires drivers who are convicted of specific offenses to pay an assessment fee to the DMV. The program applies to all drivers who operate, or operated, a motor vehicle in the state of New York.

First note, the driver assessment fee is in addition to any fines, fees, penalties or surcharges that you may pay for a traffic conviction.
What Are The Other Ramifications Of Getting A DWI Conviction?
Besides the economic costs and the loss of driving privileges there are other costs associated with a DWI conviction. They can include:
What Will A DWI Cost Me?
DWI’s are expensive. The best advice I can give is don’t get one. But if you do, here are some of the costs you can expect:
If I Am Charged With A DWI Will I Have To Plead To A Misdemeanor?
Not in all cases. Depending of the facts of your case, your attorney may be able to negotiate with the district attorney and have your misdemeanor level DWI charge reduced to the violation level offense of DWAI, Driving While Ability Impaired by Alcohol.
What Is Aggravated DWI?
If a driver is found to have a BAC of .18 or higher the charge will be Aggravated DWI. This enhanced charge requires the defendant to plea to a misdemeanor level offense, unless a reason for a reduction of the charge to a violation is put on the record by the court and the District Attorney.
If I Am Convicted Of DWI Will I Have To Have A Device Installed On My Car?
Yes, New York State requires the installation of an Ignition Interlock Device (IID) for any driver who is convicted of a misdemeanor or felony DWI offense.
What Is Leandra’s Law?
Leandra’s law is a new law named after a Leandra Rosado, who was an eleven year old girl who was killed in 2009 when the driver of the car she was a passenger in, a family friend who was intoxicated, flipped the car on the Henry Hudson Parkway in New York City.
What Penalties Can I Expect If I Am Convicted of an Alcohol Related Offense?
For a first time DWAI conviction: A driver convicted of a first time DWAI in New York State, a violation, will face a mandatory 90 suspension of the driver’s license, a jail sentence of up to 15 days and a fine ranging from $300 to $500. These penalties are enhanced for every subsequent DWAI conviction.

What Happens If I Am Under 21 And I Get Charged With DWI?
New York State has a Zero Tolerance Law regarding persons under the age of 21 who are caught drinking and driving. It is illegal for a driver under 21 to have consumed any alcohol.

The information on this site is not legal advice, it is Attorney Advertising intended to educate potential clients about their need for legal advice and assist them in obtaining a lawyer appropriate for those needs. Use of this site does not create an attorney-client relationship. Every case is different and every person should consult a lawyer to asses their particular case. If you think our firm can assist you please contact us for a consultation. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.